Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The job search

One challenge that has presented so far has been finding a job. Being a fairly small place, it is not teeming with employment opportunities outside of labor and a few random industries. I have had some luck off the bat and hope that the positions offered are worth while because after this round of searching the next round is going to require a lot more creativity.

This afternoon I went to an interview at gold's gym for a personal trainer spot. I think the job is a lock, but it's a sales and commission based position. So the company could really care less about who they hire. Either you come in and make sales or you don't get paid. They win either way. That is the main reason I haven't been to interested in corporate gyms and one of the main drawbacks at the UFC, people were always trying to sell you on something. While I understand that, it gets old fast and not really what I want to be doing. But if the experience can help lead into the blending if mental and physical health then it would be a good experience. Have to wait until the follow-up interview.

The second promising lead is with the boys and girls club. They have a great program coordinator position available and an interview the Monday after thanksgiving. That position would be way better long term, but if it doesn't come through then personal training may be the best in the short run.

Finally I am set to take the police exam for openings in the Pasco police department Dec 4. That one I go back and forth on, but figure it is with trying out. I have been studying a little and think I am ready for the psych eval at least. From the news recently I know that you always resort to deadly force. So on all the multiple choice I got that one ready. And the physical section will be easy. So at least it will be an interesting day.

In the midterm I need to find things to pass the time. I am looking for a Chinese tutor. There is a larger Chinese population than I was expecting so I am hopeful there. Other than that winter is killing a lot of options. Time to get fit and clean the shit out of the house. Half-marathon anyone?

1 comment:

  1. Well, this is an interesting turn of job events. I don't see how you could be bored with all the dog training you have to keep you busy!

    ReplyDelete