Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Penang International Bridge Marathon, 11/18/2012

The Penang Bridge International Marathong (for me the half-marathon) was my second event that I have taken part in.  It was a pretty big affair and much better coordinated than the event in China.
The marathon started at 2am, the half at 3 and the 10k at 6 and 7.  Despite the odd times, it felt pretty good and was the only way to beat the heat.  I was concerned that running at 3am would throw me off, but it didnt really seem to have a noticeable affect.  My official time for the race was 1:46.28.  4 minutes slower than my first.  However, I stopped to stretch for a minute and also suffered a rough abdominal crap that forced me to slow down and walk through a water station or two.  On top of that when I finished I felt much better.  My calfs was strained, but am already to be up and running on it, as long as I take it easy.  All in all a vast improvement over my original performance.  Also to my surprise, I placed 59 out of 5,705.
The race itself was a hugge event.  There must have been something like 15-20,000 people either running or coming in for support.  It was nice to see how a proper event can be managed and makes me look forward to taking part in more in the future.  Maybe a tri once I land in Australia.  But first the Melbourne, Philips island Tough Mudder in January.  I am looking forward to that race. A few people I have met while traveling who have done them in the past have all had good things to say.
After the race, and a nap, and a large lunch.  Jayci and I headed out to the national park.  Originally the ideas was to hike through the park to a beach on the west side of the island.  But pre-race planning may have been a little overly ambitious.  We decided to take  the boat instead.  On the beach I was finally able to try out my new hammock.  It is fantastic. Although it did ruin the plan of walking around looking at things.  Once we were able to settle into the position I dont think we moved for an hour or two.  After sunset and the boat ride back, the early race and lack of sleep finally caught up and it was time to crash for a solid 10-hour recovery sleep.
2 half-marathons down.  102 and 106 minutes. If I can find a proper support for my calf, I think I could push for a 90 min time.  Time to start checking the race calendar for AU.  Plus racing should help a lot with my cardio for getting back into the ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment